Flank steak has two things going for it.
First, it’s very flavorful.
Second, it meets government guidelines for “lean” meat (less than 10 grams of total fat, 4.5 grams of saturated fat and 95 milligrams of cholesterol per 100 gram/3.5 ounce serving – Beef Made Easy, pdf). Its cousins are brisket flat cut and skirt steak (Angus Beef chart – pdf). As the chart above shows, the cut is located between the last rib and hip.
Flank steak should not be overcooked. And because it is a lean cut, marinade flank steak before grilling and cut against the grain (and on the diagonal) for a more tender serving.
This is a recipe for grilled steak … that you’re going to cook tomorrow!
Serve with sauce, grilled corn on the cob and grilled Bartlett pears!
Sassy flank steak marinade
This tasty recipe for grilled flank steak … is one that you’re going to cook tomorrow because it needs to marinade overnight!
- Course: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Servings: 6
- 2 poundsflank steak
- salt and pepper
- large zip-lock bag
- 3/4 cred wine
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1/4 cWorcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cred wine vinegar
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/2 cMexican Coca Cola with sugar not HFCS
- 2 Tcandied ginger bits
- 1 TMrs Dash seasoning without salt
- 1 Tgarlic paste
- 1 T tomato paste (this is tenderizer)
- 2 Tdark molasses
- 1 dashAll Spice
- Lightly salt and pepper the steak (rub in).
- Thoroughly mix ingredients together in a large zip lock bag.
- Add meat to the marinade bag; place in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove steak from refrigerator at least a half-hour before grilling, to approach room temperature. Lightly coat the grill with olive oil.
- Retain the marinade when it’s time to grill the steak. Put it in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil; cook until thickened and serve as an accompanying sauce.
- Grill the flank steak on high heat (400F) for about 4-6 minutes per side (medium rare). Because flank steak is thicker in the middle than on the ends, you’re going to need to compromise. I cook the steak so that the middle is rare, which prevents overcooking the ends.
- Remove from the grill, place on a cutting board and let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes. Cover with foil to retain heat and moisture. Slice thinly, against the grain (on the diagonal – see YouTube clip for example).
How To Slice Flank Steak